Recently came across this article written by Jon Younger on Freelancing impact on the future of employment. Here’s some of the key themes from Jon’s article, Freelancing is Influencing a Generation of Employees:
- Freelancing is becoming a popular career choice with large year-over-year increases in the freelance workforce.
- New startups aim to serve the online talent marketplace like Flexing It (India), Expertera (Turkey) and Hoxby Collection (UK).
- Beyond being an individual career, Freelancing is changing the way Millenials and Gen-Z employees go to work!
Here are the top eight ways that freelancing is adapting the workforce, according to Mr. Young:
- Millennial and Gen-Z workers are treating jobs as gigs.
- Reasons for changing jobs is similar to why freelancers freelance.
- be my own boss > a difficult boss
- more choice & flexibility > work that doesn’t interest them
- greater variety > not growing professional/learning new skills
- Employers are trying to offer more flexibility to compete.
- Employers are taking more ownership in helping employees “skill proof” their career.
- Side hustles are turning more mainstream workers into part-time freelancers.
- Employers are in-part using places like WeWork and other co-work facilities.
- Employees and Freelancers are creating blended teams and cultures.
- As freelancing becomes a pathway to employment; more and more workers are going to come with Gig Economy expectations.
Still curious about becoming a freelancer? Check out our Gig Startup Fundamentals Workbook or buy the instantly accessible Gig Startup Toolkit and save time, money and resources taking the leap toward becoming independent!