MBO Partners State of Independence in America Report says freelancers are stronger and more confident than ever. Here are some of the highlights of their 2019 study:
- More than half of full-time independent workers say they feel more financially secure as independents than in traditional jobs, a record high. Seven in 10 full-time independents say they plan to continue their current path.
- In the U.S., millennials – those born between 1980 and 2000 – are displacing baby boomers in the independent workforce. In 2019, millennials made up 38 percent of the full-time independent workforce, up from 37 percent last year. Boomers, many of whom are aging out of the workforce, fell from 35 percent to 33 percent.
- Independent workers contributed $1.3 trillion to the U.S. economy this year – close to the total GDP of Spain.
- The digital revolution is here. Word of mouth remains the top way that independents find work, but nearly one in three independents say that social media and online talent marketplaces are in their top three methods.
- More Americans are taking up a side hustle to supplement their income, like driving for Uber or starting a passion business. In 2019, these occasional independents rose in ranks 6.3 percent to 15 million. That number is up more than 40 percent since 2016.
Read the full report here: https://www.mbopartners.com/state-of-independence/
Still curious about becoming a freelancer? Check out our free Gig Startup Fundamentals Workbook or buy the instantly accessible Gig Startup Toolkit and save time, money and resources taking the leap toward becoming independent!